Pages

What joy the gospel gives me. I can approach the throne of God with confidence, not because I've done a good job at my spiritual duties, but because I'm clothed in the righteousness of Jesus Christ. ~ C.J. Mahaney

Kären's Mom's Butter Cookies

It's truly feast or famine on my blog.

I stay away forever then hit you with back to back dessert recipes.  So, here is another blast from the past recipe that I've enjoyed making since 1977.  This one comes courtesy of another high school friend from Yokota.  Kären's mom hailed from England and had the beautiful, lilting accent to prove it.  True to her heritage, she could bake a mean butter pecan cookie.  One day we popped into her kitchen after school and found a plate full of these delicious morsels waiting for us.  She promptly discovered it wasn't safe to set cookies in front of Laura Lee.  I feel sure I ate way more than was socially acceptable for a 14 year old girl.  And then I sweetly requested the recipe, which she was gracious enough to supply.

The ridiculously simple dough is just barely sweet.  Powdered sugar adds only a wee bit of sweetness to these melt-in-your-mouth treats which are fabulous with tea or coffee for a mid-afternoon pick-me-up.  

Trust me.   Would I lead you astray?


Cut butter into the flour and sugar.


Add chopped pecans.


Roll into balls and bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
 For best results, be sure they are perfectly round like mine.


Roll in powdered sugar while still warm from the oven;  
then, watch them disappear!!

Mrs. M's Butter Cookies


  • 1/2 lb butter --let it sit out a while to soften
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
****
  • powdered sugar for rolling
Cut butter into flour and sugar with a pastry blender or fork.  Stir in pecans.  Shape into small balls and place on baking sheet or stone.  Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.  Roll in powdered sugar while still warm.  


Love,


1 comment:

Living in China said...

We love this recipe. You'll be interested to know that when we make it for our Chinese friends we don't coat them in powdered sugar. We just make the normal recipe and serve them "naked". That's the perfect sweetness for them!