Pages

What joy the gospel gives me. I can approach the throne of God with confidence, not because I've done a good job at my spiritual duties, but because I'm clothed in the righteousness of Jesus Christ. ~ C.J. Mahaney

I Loved You First!

(First published in August, 2007)


Lacy and I have a little "thing" going.  She, being a very affectionate daughter, often throws her arms around me and says, "Oooo, I love you, Mommy!" Lately this has been happening with increased frequency and I finally told her, "You never give me the chance to be first to say, 'I love you.'" So, not wanting to be outdone, the next time she sneaked up behind me, threw her arms around me and said, "I love you," I responded, "Yes, but I loved you FIRST!"

And it's true. I did love her first. Long before she even knew she needed a mommy, I loved her. When we began gathering the mounds of adoption paperwork, I loved her. When all I had was a tiny, postage stamp-sized photo, I loved her. Reading about her from the smallest scrap of information, I loved her. A tiny baby, thousands of miles away in a Chinese orphanage, doing nothing on her own to deserve my love, and yet I loved her. I loved her
first.

That is the way it is with God's love for us. We have done nothing to deserve His love. And yet, in His mercy and grace, while we were still sinners, He loved us first.

For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will scarcely die for a righteous person-though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die-but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:6-9
I am so thankful that she loves me. I'm in awe of God's kindness in allowing me to experience her love. Twelve years ago tomorrow, I watched her daddy board a plane bound for China, to bring home the baby I loved so much.



Happy Adoption Day, Lacy.



 I loved you first!





Love,
Mom


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It made me cry.
love you FIRST!!!

Lisa said...

Oh my, you are a poet along with everything else! What a beautiful gift you gave your precious black-haired beauty. You loved her first. Indeed you did. I raise my glass to you: well done, Laura...

Lisa.

JoyinChina said...

So sweet! What a beautifully written love note to your daughter AND your Father!