Pages

What joy the gospel gives me. I can approach the throne of God with confidence, not because I've done a good job at my spiritual duties, but because I'm clothed in the righteousness of Jesus Christ. ~ C.J. Mahaney

Sunshine Muffins

DSCN0810

I love to bake muffins.  Most of my favorite muffin recipes come from Sue Gregg's cookbook Breakfasts.  Sue Gregg uses only whole grains and other healthy, nutrition-packed ingredients in her recipes.  I've been using them for 15 years and I come back to them again and again.

DSCN0783

When I'm in the mood for a serious muffin that is almost like a meal in itself, this is the one I always turn to.  It has a little bit of everything good in it: grated orange peel, fresh squeezed orange juice, grated carrots, chopped nuts, raisins, honey, and whole wheat flour.  When I'm craving one of these, there is no substitute.  They take a little longer than most mix and dump muffin recipes, but they are oh, so worth the extra bit of effort!

I like to grind my own wheat and keep some stored in the freezer for baking on a whim.  If you don't grind flour, just be sure to use a good quality of whole wheat flour like King Arthur's.  Most groceries carry it.  There really is a difference!  King Arthur is hands-down the best commercial flour you can buy.

When you have a few extra minutes to spare, give these a try!!

DSCN0784


Sunshine Muffins

1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Mix together and set aside for topping.

*******

grated peel of 1 orange
3/4 cup orange juice (squeeze the fresh orange you grated, plus reconstituted OJ to make the 3/4 cup)
1 egg lightly beaten
1/2 cup honey
1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix together in a bowl.

*********

2 cups whole wheat flour sifted
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Mix together in another bowl.

 ***********

1 cup grated carrot
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Now mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients, folding in the carrots, raisins, and nuts.

Fill muffin cups evenly.  Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar mixture on top.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

DSCN0802

Good morning, sunshine!

Love,

2 comments:

JoyinChina said...

We can almost never get whole wheat flour here, so I can't make your scrumptious muffins. However, I have to say I love your adorable spotted chicken tea pot! :)

Laura Lee said...

I'm sorry, Joy. I should have said, "Most groceries, excluding Chinese ones, carry it." :-) I'll bring you some!!