Pages

What joy the gospel gives me. I can approach the throne of God with confidence, not because I've done a good job at my spiritual duties, but because I'm clothed in the righteousness of Jesus Christ. ~ C.J. Mahaney

Scattered Leaves


It may be cooling off outside, but things are really warming up in my sewing room. I've been busy this week "painting" in fabric with a riot of fall colors. This pattern is called Scattered Leaves and is pictured on the front cover of American Patchwork and Quilting magazine.


I knew the moment I saw it that it would be a perfect gift for the newlyweds up in Illinois. Where it gets cold. Really cold. And Abby loves Fall. And all that.....

Come along and I'll show show you how I put a block together.

I started by cutting lots of 2" wide strips of fabric. Basically, the blocks are built around these. Then I had to cut out the various lengths: 5", 6.5", 8" and 9.5". Each leaf block is set on a cream ground color, for unity. So it goes like this: 1 leaf unit plus six strips of varying lengths.



This leaf is going to be....you'll never guess. Yep, yellow!


Can you see it, yet?? It's sort of like putting a puzzle together. (It pays to be attentive in kindergarten.)


OK, time to sew the strips on to finish the block. This part is really fun and goes pretty fast.



The finished block. Except for the screaming yellow, this one is pretty tame.


And here we have all the friends. It's coming right along. Fifteen blocks down, five to go.

Check back in a few days and I'll show you how I put it all together.

Love,
Laura Lee


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the quilt! I'm sure Abby and Jonathan will, too.
G~Mama

JoyinChina said...

It's so fun and pretty! I crochet, but the only quilt I've ever made is Hope's 100 Good Wishes quilt when we adopted her.Mom and I worked on it together and completed the queen size version in 3 weeks. The wall hanging companion took 7 years (it was done, except some hand quilting only recently got around to finishing. :)You're amazing!