Pages

What joy the gospel gives me. I can approach the throne of God with confidence, not because I've done a good job at my spiritual duties, but because I'm clothed in the righteousness of Jesus Christ. ~ C.J. Mahaney

MO Tasty


We all have those recipes we come back to again and again. You know the ones I'm talking about. They are splattered and stained from years of use. Though they are practically committed to memory, we still go to the recipe file, just in case. Comfort foods they call them.

Here is a recipe for meatloaf that I've made for over 20 years. Our good friends Gary and Kim J. in Knoxville, TN, shared this recipe with us and boy I'm glad they did. It comes from a barbecue restaurant in Missouri (MO), their home state. It's definitely not your average, run-of-the-mill meatloaf. We've long since lost touch with those dear friends, but every time I make this I will always remember the fun we had with them.

This can be mixed up and then baked in the oven, which is mostly the way I've done it for years. However, it originally was created for the grill. In the past few months, we have gone back to doing it on the grill. I doubt we'll ever go back to the oven. It is just so fabulous done on the grill. And yesterday was per--fec--tion grilling weather.

(I double this for my school of piranhas, and we fight over the left-overs the next day.)

Barbecue Meatloaf

  • 1 lb lean ground beef
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup crushed crackers
  • 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
**********
Sauce
  • 4 T brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
Mix beef, egg, onion, and crackers. Add in remaining three ingredients and mix well. Mix sauce and set aside. Pat meatloaf into an iron skillet and cook on grill for about 15 minutes until it gets nice and bubbly on the sides of the skillet. Remove skillet from grill. On the grill, place several layers of foil through which you have made a few small slits . Turn the meatloaf out onto the foil. Grill another 15 minutes until cooked through. Top with sauce and cook another minute or two.

Mix up the meatloaf.



Stir up the sauce....this makes it really yummy.
You'll pour this on later.




Pat the meatloaf into an iron skillet and
set it on the grill rack to start baking.




Flip it out on the tin foil. When done, pour on the sauce.
I clean the skillet and scoop the
cooked meatloaf back in to take to the table.


Serve to your hungry crew.
We enjoyed mashed potatoes and
broccoli casserole with this.



"Mo Tasty!"~ Tom


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so coming to your house next time for supper. Wow mashed potatos and meatloaf divine..... send me directions please.

;->

Misty