Pages

What joy the gospel gives me. I can approach the throne of God with confidence, not because I've done a good job at my spiritual duties, but because I'm clothed in the righteousness of Jesus Christ. ~ C.J. Mahaney

Sew Proud to be An American



I remember exactly where I was when I heard the news on September 11, 2001. Do you?

I'm so thankful for the brave men and women who are risking their lives, half way around the world, fighting to preserve my freedoms as an American.

Recently I became aware of an organization that provides adaptive clothing, free of charge, to wounded service men and women at every major military hospital in the United States, Landstuhl (Germany) and at Combat Surgical Hospitals. The name of this organization is Sew Much Comfort


Many of the wounded troops are left with a hospital gown as their only clothing option. Sew Much Comfort is helping out by providing adaptive "normal" clothing for these service members who have given so much of themselves in serving our country.

I filled out the volunteer application online and received in the mail a packet of information telling all about how to make these adaptive garments. My first assignment is rather simple: adapting a pair of purchased boxer shorts by taking out a seam and applying velcro up one side. When completed I will send these to the regional director who will check the quality of my work. Once approved, I will send the garments directly to the distribution center in Ohio.

Many different types of garments are needed: boxer shorts, polo shirts, pajama pants, etc. They are either purchased and adapted, or created from special patterns. I'll make as many as time allows.

I am excited about using my sewing skills for such a worthy cause. It is the least I can do for my country.

To all the brave American soldiers, including my brother Doug, who is in Iraq, I say "Thank you!" from the bottom of my heart.

Love,
Laura Lee

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girl I am so proud of you!! Helping in such a special practical way. I too remember EXACTLY where I was and what I was doing on that 9/11 day.

I had actually been to the twin towers when in NY after HS graduation. They were huge and I was horrified as they went down.

Love to your crew there...
Misty B

Alyssa said...

When Amanda was having the titanium rib surgery, which was pretty traumatic for Mom and Dad, she got this beautiful blankie from this group called Project Linus. Maybe you could hook up with them, too?

http://www.projectlinus.org

Laura Lee said...

Thanks, Alyssa. I have hooked up with another organization called Newborns in Need. They distribute tiny little quilts to hospitalized preemies and very sick infants. These tiny quilts are SO much fun to make. I just love the thought of the smiles they must bring anxious Moms and Dads. I'll post about those soon.