Pages

What joy the gospel gives me. I can approach the throne of God with confidence, not because I've done a good job at my spiritual duties, but because I'm clothed in the righteousness of Jesus Christ. ~ C.J. Mahaney

Rustic Vegetarian Pizza





While we're in pizza mode, let me share this recipe for a vegetarian pizza.  I found this in a Quick Cooking magazine a few years ago.  The combination of zucchini, tomatoes, onions, fresh basil, and loads of mozzarella looked scrumptious to me, so I gave it a try.  Then I promptly dog-eared the page and put it right on the shelf with my cookbooks because I knew I'd be making it again and again.  I make one of these at lunch rather frequently for the girls and me.  It always brings great big smiles and hearty "Mmmmm, mmmmm's!"

I made a couple simple changes to the original recipe.  First of all, it called for refrigerated pizza dough.  So I just substituted my own super simple recipe instead.  Secondly, it called for sliced mozzarella cheese.  I have used that, but usually what I have on hand is grated mozzarella, and it works just fine.  So just use what you like.  I will say that sliced mozzarella probably works best for giving it a more authentic Italian taste.

This is made in a couple stages, explained below.   All the vegies don't go on at once, nor all the cheese.  But it's worth the extra effort.  Trust me.

Oh, and this pizza does not have a red sauce.  In fact, it has no sauce at all.  With all the fresh tomatoes, you won't miss the sauce.  I don't!  And  I need to mention that I've been known to thrown on some sliced mushrooms, if I have them on hand.

But, only if we want a fungus among us.

Ahem...

Moving right along.



Holly is my handy dough roller.
She's never far from the action when I'm cooking.



I use dense, meaty tomatoes like plum, so they aren't too juicy.



Take out some aggression on a zucchini and some onions. 



 Place zucchini around the edge, fold the dough over, and pile on some cheese.
This bakes for about six minutes or so.


 
Next the tomatoes, onions, and rest of the zucchini go on.
It bakes a while longer, with the final layer of cheese going on last.



This is the final product.  You can tell I'm not OCD about the shape of my pizza.
I was trying to achieve a relatively decent rectangle.
I think I failed. 

********

Don't do what I did and forget the fresh basil.  I made this one from memory and completely overlooked it, with all the picture taking and what-have-you.  Ughhhh....such a disappointment when I realized it was missing.   You really want that fresh basil.  My plants are growing right outside the kitchen door, so I can go out there and buzz some off with my kitchen shears in about 10 seconds.  Dried basil will work....but, you know....

Rustic Vegetarian Pizza

  • 1 tablespoon cornmeal
  • 1 recipe of pizza dough, or one can refrigerated dough
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
  • about 1 1/2 - 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
  • 1 small zucchini, cut into 1/8 inch slices, divided
  • 1 small onion, sliced
  • 4 plum tomatoes, cut into 1/4 inch slices
  • salt/pepper
  • 1/4 cup torn fresh basil
Sprinkle cornmeal over a greased baking sheet.  (Or use a baking stone, ungreased)  Roll pizza dough into a 12 inch square.  Brush with 1 teaspoon of olive oil.   Arrange half the zucchini slices around the edges of the dough, about an inch from the edge.  Fold the dough over the zucchini.  Put about half the cheese around the center of the pizza.  Bake at 400 degrees for about six minutes.  Remove from oven.

Layer the onion, remaining zucchini, and the tomato slices over the cheese.   Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Return to oven and bake for an additional 10-12 minutes or more, till it starts to brown and look done.   Add remaining cheese and bake an additional 4 or 5 minutes, until cheese is melted.

Remove from oven and drizzle with  remaining oil.  Sprinkle with fresh basil.  Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.


I'll take the biggest piece, please.
I mean,  I'll take that little ol' piece right there.   Thank you!

 I'm off to work on a quilt all weekend.  I can't wait to show it to you!

Enjoy your weekend!

Love,


No comments: