Pages

What joy the gospel gives me. I can approach the throne of God with confidence, not because I've done a good job at my spiritual duties, but because I'm clothed in the righteousness of Jesus Christ. ~ C.J. Mahaney

Fun With Pizza Dough!


When Ryan was in high school, he took a mini-mester class for a week called "Fun With Pizza Dough." They made all sorts of interesting things with pizza dough that week and Ryan, very at home in the kitchen, thoroughly enjoyed himself. His teacher, Mr. Simons, brought in his own recipe and shared it with the students. We've used this recipe for pizza ever since.

In the past three or four years, we have only ordered out pizza once or twice. Our family really prefers this homemade pizza over delivery. And, oh my! The savings! I can make four large pizzas for our big, hungry family (and any spare kids who might be visiting) for right at $10. And there is always some left for lunch the next day. I really should pop a thank you-check in the mail to good ol' Mr. Simons. He has saved us so much money!

Here is the recipe for one pizza.



Mr. Simon's Quick and Easy Pizza Dough

  • 2/3 cup water
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups bread flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons yeast
  • scant 1/8 cup sugar
Heat water to 115 degrees and add yeast. (I just use very warm tap water.) If you have a mixer with dough hooks, this makes it even easier. Add all the ingredients and mix for several minutes. Cover bowl with damp towel. Let dough rest for 30 minutes. Grease pizza pan and roll out dough. (If I use a baking stone, I don't grease it.)

Top with pizza sauce. Top with cheese. Then put your other toppings of choice over the cheese. I have found that this order keeps everything from falling apart upon cutting the pizza.

Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 16 minutes.



Below is the recipe quadrupled, which is what I typically do for our pizza-lovin' brood. The fourth pizza is always a dessert pizza with loads of butter, brown sugar, diced apples, chopped nuts, and cinnamon.


Don't forget the mood music.


4X Pizza Dough Recipe for the Serious Pizza Lovers
  • 2 2/3 cup water
  • 6 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 8 cups bread flour
  • 2 tablespoons yeast
  • scant 1/2 cup sugar

"I love pizza! It's part of my Italian heritage....."

Ciao!
Laura Lee

3 comments:

Alyssa said...

We are soooooo going to try making this pizza!!! It looks VERY good!!!!
BTW no grammer errors this time!
The (REAL) Hon
P.S. I'm not 11 I'm 12!

Aunt Rochelle said...

Sounds almost identical to the recipe I grew up with. Granted I think mom quick making pizza when I was about ten (along with fried chicken and everything else that was "too fatty"), but as a teenager, I often made the homemade pizza just because it is so much better than the take out stuff. I don't recall EVER ordering out pizza as a kid, it cost too much! :-) I still make it occasionally, did a few weeks ago and of course it was scarfed up! My recipe doesn't call for oil though, everything else is pretty similar and I like to doctor it up with a little italian seasoning and parmesean cheese in the crust. Try it sometime. You'll be surprised at the extra little zip it gives the pizza. :-)

Love,
Rochelle

Laura Lee said...

I can assure you we NEVER ordered out pizza when I was growing up. We didn't go out to each much either. I think it was just our generation. Besides, Grandmama is just such a darn good cook! Why would Grandaddy want to pay three times more for something not half as good (or half as much??)

I discovered order-out pizza in college, and ate my share. I had a roommate at Auburn that, No Joke, ordered Dominoes EVERY NIGHT! She lived on Dominoes pizza, coke, and cigarettes! And drove a cute little red sports car.... Crazy, mixed-up gal, but sweet.

I wonder if she ever grew tired of pizza....